[Moon] Deep Search IS cheating

Franz van Velzen (OE3FVU / PE0WGA) oe3fvu at oe3fvu.eu
Sun Aug 24 09:42:59 CEST 2014

Dear Lars,

What is your point?

Is it that JT65 in your view is cheating?
Well that is for everyone to decide himself. the arguments pro and contra have been presented over and over againa s long as Joe made this - in my view great, in your view chet - programm.
Your remark that the EME activity went down is incorrect, in fact, quite the contrary.

Or is it that CW is not used any more?
That seems more like your problem....
If I look at the railways, I see electric and diesel driven trains, no steam trains anymore
If I look at the roads, I see automobiles, no carts and horses anymore
If I look at the telecom branch, I don't see any teley, fax in use anymore
If I look at TV there is a clear tendency, almost completed, to move to DVB-T
If I look at HAM radio, I see that home made radios are not used much anymore, but there are still some people finding it interesting to build and operate ones. Like there are people who loke to keep steam engines going, drive carts and horses, HAM's that operate fax, telex and HELL and Enigma machines, and a bunch of people who keep 405 TV alive.In all these cases, those who want to do that are hobbyists. That is fine...no... excellent.

Well CW is STILL being used in HAM radio. For sure, not as much as it used to be. That is great, but it is a fact that new technologies come around, or do
you use 405 tubes for your eme RX ?

If you want to use CW and if others want to use CW, excellent, but please do not start every few years the discussion about weather JT65 is a cheating mode
or not. JT65 opened the world of EME for many, many, many more stations as in the pre-WSJT years. It also opened up the possibilities to actiate remote countries by DX-peditions with a rewarding number of QSO's. JT65 has it benefits, if you like it or not, and it is a development of HAM Radio, which as far as I know, is hobby with a strong experimenting part. In any case, HAM radio should be very open to new technologies, and that is hardly possible with CW considering that it is about the first mode ever used... In that sense it is also a strange thing that the total amount of bandwidth allocated to CW is far more than the aggregate bandwidth allocated to other modes, at least on the bands below 23 cm.

Nevertheless, once I find the way to operate CW decently, I am looking forward to my first EME QSO in CW especially with you

Best 73

Franz (OE3FVU / PE0WGA)