[Moon] Microwave Update 2014

Dave Hallidy k2dh1 at frontier.com
Wed Aug 27 04:52:24 CEST 2014

Fellow VHF/UHF/Microwave/EME Enthusiasts:

Please plan on attending MUD2014 in Rochester this year! People are signing
up for what promises to be another exciting, interesting conference.
Remember- there's a discount for early registration- you'll save $10 if you
sign up before 30 August, 2014.

The conference will be held October 24-25, 2014 in Rochester, NY.  We've
planned some activities for early arrivers before the conference and spouses
before, during and after the conference days.  Attendees in town on Thursday
can join us for a fabulous tour of the new AWA (Antique Wireless
Association) Museum- the curators have promised us a microwave theme.  And
for spouses, we've put together a long list of alternative activities in the
area during the conference.

To register for the conference, go to: http://www.microwaveupdate.org , or
if that site is down (it happens) you can go to
http://www.rvhfg.org/mud2014/.  When you register, you can pay by PayPal or
send a check- information is on the website.

Check the website- you'll see many of your friends already registered if you
pull down the "Attendees" tab on the page- the conference is a great
opportunity to catch up on what all your friends have been up to on the
microwaves!

The conference will be held at the Rochester Airport Marriott and the
Rochester VHF Group has gotten commitments from the hotel for a great rate
of $109/night (please call 800- 228-9290 to register at the hotel- we found
out that currently, the only way to get the reduced rate is to register by
phone, NOT online).  You must mention Microwave Update to get the reduced
rate.  You (and your spouse, if attending) will find that this is a VERY
nice hotel; they've also offered a 10% discount to attendees on the purchase
of food in their restaurant.

Airline fares to Rochester are reasonable; we're served by the major
carriers, through New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Detroit,
Baltimore/Washington, and Chicago.

The conference promises to have plenty of interesting microwave-related
topics.  The list of presentations is growing; here are some of the speakers
and the topics they'll present at the conference:
WA1ZMS/4- "mm-Wave Sub-harmonic Mixers and Their Correct Use"
VK3XPD- "78 GHz in VK"
W5LUA- "78 GHz EME Experiments"
WA1MBA- Some Activity on the 77 GHz Band"
W1GHZ- "Cheap and Simple Microwave Preamps, Filters, and Amplifiers"
W1AIM & AF1T- "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly: Microwave Contesting in New
England"
N2CEI- TBD
N4MW- "The WA4FC 1262/1282 MHz FM Repeater"
W2FU- TBD
University of Rochester Laser Lab- Virtual Tour

Of course, we also promise to have the usual Flea Market on Friday (and
probably Saturday) evenings.  We also will be doing Noise Figure
measurements, at least on Friday evening.  Thanks to some very generous help
from Keysight Technologies (the old HP/Agilent Technologies), who are
bringing their latest microwave test equipment including Noise Figure
Analyzers and Vector Network Analyzers.  We should be able to evaluate
preamps, converters, filters, amplifiers, etc. to at least 47GHz and
possibly 78GHz.

We're still looking for presenters and there's still time to be a presenter
and/or have a paper included in the conference proceedings, but you need to
act quickly.  We'd like to have papers for the proceedings in our hands by 1
September.  After that date, you'll have to submit a paper directly to the
League for inclusion, we won't have time to review it here (presentations
NOT included in the proceedings are not bound by this deadline).  Please see
the website for details on submissions for the proceedings.

Thanks for reading this and the team is looking forward to seeing you at
MUD2014!

73
Dave Hallidy K2DH
Frank Pollino K2OS