[Moon] [Moon-Net] ARRL EME Contest

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Sun Dec 7 19:40:43 CET 2014

Weekend recap*:

I worked 2m JT65B for 13 stations (not near the 39 that I worked in
the first weekend):
Dec. 6, 0330-0700utc:
1-G4RGK -23
2-LZ2FO -24
I3MEK -25 (worked in first weekend so is a dupe for the contest)
3-KF4ZZ -23
4-DK3WG -20
5-KA0RYT -25**
6-K3RWR -16
1600-1730utc:
7-LZ1DP - 17
8-OH9HEU -26
9-RX3A -17
10-OT7K -18
Dec. 7, 0750-0820utc:
K3RWR -21 (dupe)
Heard KL6M -5 direct on JT65B (too strong direct to see his moon signal)
Activity after 0800 went almost to zero
1600-1723utc:
11-SO0EME -22
high winds were causing rapid QSB plus some RF noise bands so
attempts after were difficult:
called FW5JJ but his signal was "chopped" too much by antenna being
buffeted on/off the moon to copy.  Same with other stations I tried
with so QRT at 1723utc

*Note:  Somewhere in the first few hours I lost my Vpol preamp so had
to rely on running just Hpol Rx.  I'm sure that Faraday played a part
in making contacts a little more dicey.  Not sure if dc power
connection or the device failed.

**Note: KA0RYT was heard on/off over an hour and was on weak side.  I
noted a lot of stations calling him but didn't appear to be having
much success.  Glad we could complete.

Total worked for scoring in the contest both weekends is 49

Sorry that 1296 did not work out.  I still do not know why there is
no output with amp installed at the dish, but either is a control
board issue or drive issue.  This gives me more time to do the job
properly.  I have about 15-foot of No.10 dc power line from 28v PS to
the amp and am going to replace that with No. 8 cable which should
reduce voltage drop when running 10amps.  Based on the 0.3v drop with
1amp with current wiring (it was only 0.02v drop with workbench
connections (5-foot No.10 wire).
http://www.kl7uw.com/1296-300PA.htm

High winds preclude any work today!!! :-)

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
     "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag business: