[Moon] offset superiority on 3cm eme

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Sun Oct 26 20:09:18 CET 2014

Dom,

I picked up on that.  My thought is that if one is using a very small
dish on mw eme, an offset feed dish would be preferred as it nearly
eliminates feed blockage and signal scattering by feed and
supports.  Also seems there are more offset feed dishes available in
the smaller sizes.  Center-feed design are available as surplus in
larger sizes.

Of course if you are making your dish vs buying something, offset
feed is more difficult to make.

Up here (in Alaska) we have a history of Ku-band satellite dishes
starting with 1.8m (6-foot) in the late 1980's.  There are quite a
few 1.2m (4-foot) offset dishes still in use up here (I have one
still in use for my sat-TV).  New satellite dish installation's are
typically 76cm to 85cm now that several satellites have redirected
footprints to favor northern latitudes.

I have one 45cm dish that I re-purposed for ham radio with a W1GHZ
dual-band feed with corrugated conical feed horn for terrestrial
operation.  I have two more 45cm dishes on the shelf (18-inch
standard for satellite).  I also have an 85cm  offset dish I
installed a 2.4 GHz helix feed for ham satellite use (mode-S) several
years ago.  That dish came from my TV system when I upgraded to a 1m
dish.  I have two 1.8m center-feed commercial 6-GHz dishes FREE for
pickup in AK (they will fit in the bed of a pickup truck).

So in the US/CA probably there is a good selection of smaller offset
feed dishes obtainable from the satellite-TV industry (used and
new).  Dual-mode feeds or narrow beamwidth horns will be needed to use them.

73, Ed - KL7UW

At 10:13 AM 10/26/2014, Dom DEHAYS wrote:
>oooops forgot to tell the 1m and 1m20 are offsets
>
>73
>Dom

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com