[Moon] offset superiority on 3cm eme

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Mon Oct 27 16:06:04 CET 2014

Hans,

Just my way of respectfully disagreeing.  So easy for e-mail to
impart the wrong impression.

I am basing my observation on the study of conic surfaces which is a
topic in solid geometry.  The ellipse is the shape that develops when
a flat surface (a plane) intersects either a cone or a cylinder at an
angle to the axis of the former.

An offset feed dish can be synthesized by illuminating a part of an
ordinary center-fed dish by using a narrower beam feed angled off the
main dish focal line to the side of the dish so it illuminates from
center to edge.  The area illuminated will describe an elliptical
shape, but the shape of the beam that reflects from the dish is
parallel with the original dish "rays" and if cut by the plane of the
original dish will describe a circle.  In other words the resulting
beam looks like a cylinder coming from a part of the original
dish.  This is easy to see using light on a shiny dish and a piece of
paper for the reflected light to shine upon.  I believe VE4MA used
this principle to illuminate three panels of a standard center-fed
dish at his winter qth in AZ (clever I thought).

One of the advantages of the offset feed is that the feed generally
looks at an upward angle at the sky so any spill-over is seeing cold
sky vs ground.  This is true if the antenna is aimed for signals
coming from the horizon (dish looks like it's pointing downward.  But
this advantage disappears if the dish is looking for signals in the
sky above the offset angle (typically about 27-degrees).  Actually
the feed will be looking at the horizon when the dish is looking at
2x 27 degrees in the sky.  Probably a reason why the offset feed dish
is used for satellite-TV.

Reduction of feed blockage is another advantage, especially on small
dishes (in terms of wavelength).

Also it is easier to design feeds with more gain than is optimum on
deep dishes F/d <0.4.  I once upon a time had a 1.8m dish with
f/d=0.25; the focal point was right in the plane of the dish opening
so a board across the dish could support it.  But it had to
illuminate with a beamwidth of 180-degrees.  I used a simple
cylindrical waveguide horn that was more like 90-100 degrees so I
under-illuminated the dish severely.  Lost 6-dB gain of the
dish.  But it worked fine for my purpose using only about the center
3-foot of the dish on 3300-MHz for a terrestrial shot.

I have considered mounting my 9cm feed to offset feed my 4.9m dish
but hate to lose the gain by doing that.  So instead I will co-mount
it with my 23cm feedhorn so the 9cm will be slightly off center from
the focal point but pointed to the dish center.  There will be a
resulting offset angle of radiation and some aberration loss due to
not being at the focal point.

Advantage will be that multiple feedhorns will be mounted to avoid
feed change out with band change.  Something to avoid in the middle
of winter on a starry night in Alaska. ;-)

73, Ed - KL7UW

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
     "Kits made by KL7UW"