[Moon] 3 cm circular polarisation

SM6CKU ben at sm6cku.se
Sat Sep 20 15:46:41 CEST 2014

Hello guys,

After posting I am circular on 10 GHz I have received a question, Why?

Geometrical is the same at 10 GHz as on other bands. Normally 45 deg / 3 dB to the east coast of the US and approaching 90 deg west of that. With increasing activity from different parts of the world simultaneously gives circular polarization an advantage. 6 cm is circular, why not 3 cm EME activity?

In 1990 I went to the EME Conference in Trenton, NJ with a very nice 10 GHz copy of the W2IMU horn for .6 dishes, and everybody was impressed. There were not many stations on the band at that time and most of them were linear. Except my good friend SM4DHN, who made his own version and has been circular since then. The same issue came up in Prague in 2002 and it was decided that use of circular pol. was recommended. 24 years and not much has changed...

Today there are several good designs of feedhorns for CP, and mine is one of SM6FHZ's. I also think there are CP horns available commercially.

Anyway, today I worked OK1CA, OH2DG, SM4DHN and DL0SHF on 3 cm. I also heard Toly, UA4HTS several times. I measured 16 dB of Sun noise and 2,3 dB moon noise with my 4m dish. Power output to the CP horn is 15-18 watts through a very short cable.

73 de Ben, SM6CKU