[Moon] [Moon-Net] 3 cm circular polarisation

Charles Suckling charlie at sucklingfamily.free-online.co.uk
Mon Sep 22 09:07:54 CEST 2014

Hi Ben

Just wanted to add one slightly out of the box thought.

Linear has one advantage over CP for 10GHz in that there is a recent growth
in stations participating in 10GHz EME using "tropo" sized systems with
associated linear pol feeds. The DL0SHF beacon, running linear, is often
their first point of contact with 10GHz EME and I think this trend would be
less likely to develop with the added complication of needing a CP feed.

Luis brings up some interesting points about depolarisation that on one test
with G4NNS we did not observe.  With linear, we saw a clear null when trying
cross polarised linear.  The fit between offset angle and received S/N
matched the expected behaviour quite closely as if there was no
depolarisation.  Observations of signal spreading being less on CP is
interesting and is something to look at again.  The paper did not make clear
that the tests were done at the same time or at different times.  If the
latter, then one would need to check that the libration rate was the same at
the different times.

73

Charlie

  _____