[Moon] [Moon-Net] Pre-amp Isolation relay isolation question

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Mon Aug 31 00:32:24 CEST 2015

Good luck with using HP mw relays.  I've not had much luck finding
any with low insertion loss.  Best I have are 0.2 dB loss which
raises your nice 0.24 dBNF LNA to 0.44 dBNF -yuck!

My biggest surprise was finding that the NARDA Sem123N relay had loss
so low I could not measure it with any reasonable certainty.  Mine
was under 0.05 dB.  Only way I could measure it was by adding the
N-elbow to common port and N/sma adapter to NC or NO port to make
combined loss measurement of 0.15 dB (the adapter measures 0.1 dB by itself).

I am hoping the HP8765A are better at 3400-MHz, though I will have to
use N/sma adaptor on the VE4MA Feed to mate to the sma
relay.  Fortunately the LNA has sma-male input.  Thinking of making
up a short 90-degree section of 141 coax with N-male and sma-male on
opposite ends vs using an adapter.

For the ARRL mw EME Contest (Sept. 5/6) I hope to get the 3400
feed/LNA/transverter installed for Rx-only.  I will not have time to
get the Toshiba Amp running (building two DEMI transverters for
customers this week which is higher priority).

GL, 73
Ed - KL7UW

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com