[Moon] Decode at what level?

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Fri Dec 18 02:35:54 CET 2015

Thanks for that link.  Actually found I had
already saved the G3SEK note but useful to review
when starting out on a new mode (and for eme newcomers).

I have one question about signal reports and it
is why are Tone reports still used?  Everyone
sends RST as **9.  T never is some other number
but always 9.  I understand the historical use of
it but with modern equipment there is almost no need to send tone reports.

So why not just RS = 59 or 35 or ?  Seems like
unnecessary info which can only confuse and not
add to coherence of communication.  SSB never
sends the tone or audio quality number.

Of course "its always been that way" but really
why is it continued for CW-eme.  Too hard to change?

73, Ed - KL7UW
I have some other question on current practise on
CW-eme but will hold them for a future time.