[Moon] [Moon-Net] 1296 EME

Ingolf, SM6FHZ ingolf.fhz at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 11:05:04 CET 2015

Dave and all.

For a small dish at 1296 MHz (~<2.5 to 3m) a conventional feed horn can be
somewhat bulky and cause some blockage, this feed might be an effective
alternative:

http://www.2ingandlin.se/Circularly%20polarized%20patch%20feed%20for%201296%20MHz_A.pdf

G4BAO, John and SM6PGP, Hannes are both successfully using it with ~2m
dishes. They use slightly different schemes to generate circular
polarization. Hannes is using the scheme shown in the link whereas John is
using a branch line coupler (3 dB hybrid) directly as described in RadCom
in October and November 2015. Both ways have pros and cons.

It should also be noted that a small dish (<10 to 15 lambda) with a large
f/D (~>0.4) is difficult to feed in the low noise way as Paul describes.
This is due to the feed size needed to get a narrow enough beam to get a
quiet dish system. Avoid small dishes with f/D >0.4 if you would like to
get a low noise receive system.

There is, as Paul says, a lot to gain from carefully choosing a feed that
suites your dish and ambitions.

73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

--
Ingolf, SM6FHZ