[Moon] FW: [Moon-Net] What can you work on 1296 with a small 2.4M dish?

Barry Malowanchuk ve4ma at shaw.ca
Sun Feb 1 22:34:21 CET 2015

>From AZ I have worked 38 different stations worked on 1296 from AZ ( 21 on CW) with a 5 ft offset and 175W….so I can agree with this. I could  have worked many more on 1296 digital given time ( limited due to 3.4 and 5.7 GHz activity). I note the comment on 1296 vs 144.  I think 1296 is the best band for EME

Barry

From: moon-net-bounces at mailman.pe1itr.com [mailto:moon-net-bounces at mailman.pe1itr.com] On Behalf Of Les Listwa
Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2015 3:22 PM
To: moon-net at mailman.pe1itr.com
Subject: [Moon-Net] What can you work on 1296 with a small 2.4M dish?

The answer is a.... smaller dish.

Yesterday, with not great moon conditions, with my little 2.4M dish and 250W, I worked Dick, PA2DW with his smaller 2.0M dish, using WSJT.

With my very modest 1296 setup, I had hoped to work a couple dozen of the larger dish station, so I am more then pleased.

We are not talking an expensive or highly optimized station here. It is actually a lot less complex then my 2M EME station which has a much larger footprint antenna.

All I am using is a TS-2000X, WA2ODO preamp,  a 250W SSPA, and a simple Scaler feed (N4QH), with LMR-400 and a single relay, simple stuff. The dish is turned with only a G-5400, so a pointing accuracy of 5% or so.

No GPS synchronized 10 MHZ standard, No expensive Helix, nothing fancy or costly.

My point is that 1296 EME is not only do-able,  but even with a minimal investment you can work work hundreds of 1296 EME stations, even other little dishes,  I just proved it to myself.

AN ADVERTISEMENT FOR 1296 DIGITAL EME ( No insult meant to the CW crowd).

73

Les

W2LPL/W2DBL