[Moon] [Moon-Net] SMALL VHF TRANSCEIVERS

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Mon Feb 16 17:25:52 CET 2015

The basic K3/10 in kit = $1,599.95 add $200 for assembled
KXV3 (transverter I/F) = $129.95
KTCXO3-1* = $109.95
MH2 handmic = $59.95
total = $1,899.80
not including shipping

That is for a basic 12w 160-6m radio that is ready for transverters.
*Needed for better freq. stability for running JT65
No extra roofing filters.

That would be twice the DUO at about $1,026 (900euro)

Its real easy to run up the price with more options.  In 2010 I paid
about $2900 for my K3/10 (price has gone up since then).  You would
have added cost of a 144-28 transverter to equal the IC275.  It would
be vastly better a radio.

73, Ed - KL7UW

At 06:49 AM 2/16/2015, Serge Szpilfogel wrote:

>Thank you Chuck,Lins,Alberto,Jim,Matej, Les & Andreas & Roger for
>your comments on the radios that you are using. Your responses begs
>for more questions.
>I like the radio made in Italy but i would have to bring in Alberto
>for training me on it.
>I have now a better understanding of the new radios on the market &
>must do some research of my own before deciding.
>Thank you again friends for taking the time.
>Serge VE1KG
>
>On 02/15/15 10:18 PM, Chuck Smallhouse <w7cs at theriver.com> wrote:
>>Hi Serge,
>>
>>You might want to retain, at least temporarily, the 275A as a 10GHz
>>IF.  I have one that I saved for that purpose, to be used for 10GHz
>>at my home QTH,  It's much easier to use than the FT 817.
>>
>>The price of the basic K3/10 in kit form, is in the ball park for
>>most, new, lower end, modern quality receivers (and TX), that are
>>suitable for today's EME operations,  It's biggest advantage is
>>that you can easily add any options that you might deem necessary
>>later, as your finances permit.  It does have a internal 2M xvrtr
>>option (including phase lock control of the LO), and will output
>>power, similar to your 275A.  It is by far the best ham RX, at any
>>price, on the current market !
>>
>>Another small configuration xcvr to consider, might be an
>>IC-7000.  It has most of the features as do the IC 756 P
>>line.  BTW, I do have an unused one for sale, with all the options.
>>
>>Another small profile xcvr might be a K2/10.  Not as modern as a
>>K3, but can usually be bought used, for < $900.
>>
>>The FT-991 has recently also been announced, an all band HF/UHF
>>xcvr in a small desktop package.  However the performance doesn't
>>seem to compare to other xvrs in the same price range
>>(~$1700).  It's advertised built in spectrum scope, is essentially
>>useless for your needs.
>>
>>I wouldn't consider any xcvrs as old as the 897, as you wouldn't be
>>increasing in performance much, and the reliability factor would be
>>questionable.
>>
>>I'm always available to you for un and solicited advice.  Worth
>>about as much as you will pay for it, HI!
>>
>>73,
>>
>>Chuck,  W7CS
>>

>>At 09:53 AM 2/15/2015, you wrote:
>> >
>> >Hello Friends i am thinking of replacing my 30 year old Icom 275A
>> VHF radio with a more uptodate radio which could be used as an IF
>> as well as 144MHz operation.
>> >I see the FT897D. Is there any others that could be used? Size &
>> stability is crucial. VHF not important The K3 is too expensive &
>> not portable. Any suggestions.
>> >Thank you
>> >Serge VE1KG

73, Ed - KL7UW