[Moon] [Moon-Net] Partial eclipse tomorrow

Peter Blair g3ltf at btinternet.com
Sat Mar 21 09:14:46 CET 2015

Roger and all, I was looking into this subject when working with Doug on his EMECalc software and the issue of beam filling factor when using narrow beamwidths and non-point sources came up. I came accross an interesting  book chapter titled  4.1.1.6 Radio Emission of the Quiet Sun by Arnold.O.Benz . I have it as a pdf and Im not sure now where I found it, it was a free download. Figure 5 which you can see here http://www.authormapper.com/search.aspx?val=publication%3ASolar+System&val=name%3ABenz%2C+Arnold+O.  shows the effect of radiation from the halo or corona quite clearly. Many of the measurements were made during eclipse. At 3cm it looks like the solar radius is about 5% larger and at 23cm 15% larger. This is why I thought it would be interesting to try and get some multi frquency data when the sun was not quiet. Obviously our data quality will be mixed but it will be interesting to see what can be extracted from the results.
73 Peter G3LTF