[Moon] Fw: VP2 Dxpedition

Peter Blair g3ltf at btinternet.com
Mon Mar 30 19:00:48 CEST 2015

This is from K2UYH.....
VP2/W3XS: Al (K2UYH) alkatz at tcnj.edu will be teaming with Bill (W3XS) billw3xs at gmail.com to put the US Virgin Islands on 1296 EME. This is a very last minute dxpedition and there are still a lot of unknowns. Plans right now are to use a small dish (~ 2 m) with circular pol feed horn and about 200 W. Operation could begin as early as Thursday 16 April at about 0900, but more likely be later in the day. We plan to operate during our moon windows on 17 and 18 April. Operation near moonrise on 19 April is possible but unlikely. Please email skeds requests for 17 and 18 April for both CW and JT65C with available times. We will operate at 080 and listen on our echo frequency, but as we do not know what interference will be present, may have to change this frequency. We do not know the Internet situation, but we will post last minute information on the HB9Q reflector even if we cannot actually be there real time. [The story behind this dxpedition is that I have to go to San Juan, PR on business on 12 April. I recently discovered that an old time EME friend (W3XS) was retired and living on a sailboat in the Virgin Islands. I emailed Bill about possible operation from VK2 and this dxpedition is the result. Bill is working on a dish and mount. He has found an excellent location with good moonrise and set visibility. I will be bring all the rest of the equipment including TS2000X, the feed and PA].

Missed you in the 9 cm as I did many others.  I had problems with my.PA.  It turned out to be a bad lug in one of the power connections. It was not obvious and I had to drag the system up and down from the feed.  I know you know the exercise.  I thus did not get on until much of EU quite operation.  I was also delayed in getting on Sunday.

73 & TNX, Al - K2UYH