[Moon] ARRL contest and more! cheating

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Mon Nov 2 22:33:47 CET 2015

I used to check into the 2m EME Net on 14.345
when Lionel - VE7BQH ran it and it was mostly
tech-talk or making future skeds.  I never observed real-time eme assistance.

Like Craig states 20m prop was often not amenable
for all to hear each other.  It worked well for
me to check-in due to the 1300 mi distance to
Lionel. Trying to check-in when Steve-N4PZ tried
resurrecting the Net was very "iffy" at our distance.

That would not preclude one using HF or VHF for a
liaison channel for testing or coordination, but
I never witnessed this. My impression was that
the eme link was frequently more reliable than a
coordination channel.  Mw folks use coordination
by radio at 144 or 432 (even HF) but often the
prop is worse then the mw circuit.  Heard often
that they made 10-GHz and then coordinated the coordinating freq link up<smile>

Internet has no prop issue so works very well for
coordination.  But it is also tempting to use
improperly for initial contacts.  I see this not
a functional issue but one of education and discipline. <and enough about that>

73, Ed - KL7UW
Good WE for me even with first night Murphy
attack: 144 worked 34; 1296 worked 14.  Will do
better next time now that I am "learning" 1296
differences.  Promise CW will be used for 1296
next WE; miss out on too many contacts otherwise.

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
     "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag business: