[Moon] QRA-codes for EME.

Peter Sundberg sm2cew at telia.com
Sun Jun 12 11:21:12 CEST 2016

Very interesting to read Leif clarification of Nico IV3NWV's highly
(for me) technical article.

Some comments from me

At 16:54 2016-06-10, Leif Asbrink via Moon wrote:
..snip..

>When a station is not present in the data base or when the operator
>does not want to use DS because he considers it to be cheating

Which it is.. and always has been..

..snip..

  This corresponds to short hand messages
>of JT65 that convey zero information to others

Indeed so!

..snip..

>Both Nico and Joe will give lectures at the EME 2016 meeting. I think
>it will be a very good idea to skip the DS decoder and makee a digital
>system that entirely relies on signals that are received via the
>antenna.

I could not agree more, very good point. It is about time people
stopped fooling themselves and others that EME QSO's are made when
using the Deep Search functionality.

Another aspect that comes to mind, why is the Deep Search
functionality constantly referred to as a 'decoder'? Klaus DJ5HG made
it clear long time ago that Deep Search can not communicate
callsigns. It is not a decoder of callsigns. Should we even compare
new developments to a cheating piece of software? Reading Leifs last
paragraph makes it very clear that we should not.

73
Peter SM2CEW