[Moon] Goonhilly Earth Station operations with the 32m antenna

Brian Coleman brian-coleman at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Aug 27 12:15:06 CEST 2017

Hello Folks

First of all many thanks to everyone who had a QSO with us and thank you for your patience. We had several operators, most of whom had never done EME before so the technique might not have been perfect. I will deal with QSLs (Via G4NNS please) in due course. There will be video of the operations available on-line later and I will provide the link when it’s ready. We made .wav files of all stations heard and when we have edited them ( some are very large) we will put them on the web. I will publish the link in due course.
On Saturday we made a measurement of Taurus A although we did not have time to check its precision 1.7dB Y on 5.7GHz. We were late on the Moon on Saturday because the 30+ year old tracking system had some problems and we ran with just 2 of the 4 Azimuth drive motors making the big change in Azimut from Taurus to the Moon very very slow. Murphy was in the team!.
The whole system will be refurbished soon and re-purposed for Deep Space work so this might be the only opportunity to use this antenna for amateur EME.
I have just got home and have a very busy few days ahead so my email response might be slow.
Vy 73 and TNX from the team, Brian G4NNS, Noel G8GTZ, Neil G4LDR ( soon to become a uW EMEer from his QTH) and Tim G4LOH.