[Moon] Focal point question.

Peter Blair g3ltf at btinternet.com
Sat May 13 18:37:30 CEST 2017

I think you are right Charlie, we do optimise for best G/T, not gain. Its
another reason why we are nearly always below the VK3UM numbers. ( and there
is no edge diffraction in the spillover numbers as they are derived from the
W1GHZ EME2014 analysis pp 69-76  which does not include that effect.)
Steve, You said in answer to Charlie's Q on measurement  " Sun noise and a
General Radio 1236 noise meter. Obviously moving the feed in and out to find
the peak. After each change make sure Make sure the dish is still smack on
the sun."
Did you re-set the cold sky level each time? If you dont do that the slight
change in phase and amplitude of reflection from the dish can introduce a
LNA noise change. Its small if the feed isolation is high but its best to be
on the safe side with a cold sky check each time you move the feed.
Re. Gain and sidelobes vs feed displacement see Paul's paper here
http://www.w1ghz.org/antbook/conf/Parabolic_Dish_Focus_Zoom_and_Tilt.pdf
especially fig 4.

The data on my feed positions, maximised on sun noise, compared to the
design focal length for 23 13 ,9 and 6cm  is (in mm)    -34,  +12, +9 and
+22 ....or in wavelengths -0.15, +0.09, +0.1, +0.42
The feed type is exactly the same for each band, the phase optimised SM6FHZ
Kumar. f/D is 0.375
I do have however a known, constant, x axis error in the dish in that I did
not allow for the mesh thickness when I made the rib jig  and I dont know
what effect that has on these values, it may be why the 6cm one is so
different.
73 Peter G3LTF