[Moon] QRA64 false decodes

Zdenek SAMEK-OK1DFC ok1dfc at seznam.cz
Fri Oct 13 14:58:15 CEST 2017

Just only comment of false decoding due to EA9LZ operating.
Even I had big pile up, I was decoding properly all stations, and always the
strongest was decoded. Same situation on 6 and 3cm. I will have on my web,
decoded files to public check if anybody will be interesting.
>From this traffic only one recommendation for QRA64D using.
After CQ of DX station, everybody on band can call him even CFOM. Only if
you see, that DX is answering to let say G3WDG, stop to call DX, because due
to not proper pointing to the Moon can be change strongest of signal and DX
will decode different station as is calling. So if all stations will stop
and wait to next CQ of DX, all goes well and not any problem was recognize
during all time.
p.s. back at home after two day driving yesterday around 22"00 local time,
see you from next expedition in 2018!

--
Zdenek - OK1DFC
www.ok1dfc.com

---------- Původní e-mail ----------
Od: G3WDG via Moon <moon at moonbounce.info>
Komu: Peter Sundberg <sm2cew at telia.com>
Datum: 13. 10. 2017 14:40:54
Předmět: Re: [Moon] QRA64 false decodes
"Hi Peter

Yes, QRA64 is not completely immune from false decodes - we saw one or two
while doing the simulation work that went into the Dubus 3/17 article and
I have seen one or two while monitoring band noise for long periods. Joe
can probably explain this better, but there is always a finite chance of
the decoder reaching a false solution when the signal to noise ratio is
low.

The developers put in a significant amount of work went to reduce false
decodes to a level where they very uncommon.

Also, and quite importantly on the rare occasions where you do see one,
our experience is that they are clearly obvious as false, like in your
example where the callsign and locator make no sense.

Both on the air and in the simulations (which involved many thousands of
files) we have never seen a false decode that could have confused or
invalidated a QSO, such as printing a wrong callsign or incorrect report.
Because of this (and its superior decoding of very weak signals) QRA64 has
an advantage over other 'slow' modes, when employing correlation decoding
to improve sensitivity.

73

Charlie