[Moon] SUN NOISE & MOON NOISE

serge ve1kg at eastlink.ca
Fri Sep 15 22:52:35 CEST 2017

I wonder what folks used  before we got digital radios & software to measure Sun noise & Moon noise on the microwave bands.
Here I have an old vacuum voltmeter with many dB scales. Would that work by simply putting  it across  speaker wires & look at what ever db scale you use & listen to it as well & adjust your antenna for maximum readings???
Then going to cold sky & get a reading & compare both readings. While that may not be accurate to the db it would give you an idea on how your antenna system performs. The problem would be the sun intensity varies from day to day but at least it would help you to calibrate your antenna system
Also can you  use the same system on 144mhz  & get some readings which may not be very strong but would help you somewhat to calibrate your antenna system. Here I use a camera to calibrate my antenna system. Because the beamwidth of my 4X17 is  wide the sun noise reading may not be accurate?? as it would be using a dish. I have never used a dish only to receive direct TV with an offset dish 18 inches & it was not easy to adjust for maximum signal.
I know it is a long email but we have on this reflectors many NOVELISTS  & I hope to hear from them.
Thank you
Serge VE1KG