[Moon] 3cm EME Newcomer

Berndt Josef Wulf wulf at ping.net.au
Sun Aug 12 12:09:50 CEST 2018

G'day,

As an admirer of EME for a very long time I have taken the first steps
to building up a 3cm band EME station.

Hardware acquired over the past couple of years include a 3.6m dish,
3cm PE1RKI septum, 0.6dB NF 21dB gain WR75 LNA, WR90 WG switch and SPID
BIG-RAS/HR antenna rotator. It is planned to have all microwave
equipment installed at the dish to minimise losses and improve system
performance.

There are still a few items required before finalising this project and
I'm now looking for a suitable 10GHz transverter, +30W solid state
amplifier, WR75/WR90 WG transition and sequencer. I'm happy to
entertain offers on second hand equipment.

I believe that the greatest challenge will be in sourcing a suitable
solid state amplifier. High prices categorically rule out new
commercial amplifiers. Hence, building a 3cm PA using surplus
transistors such as TIM0910, TIM1011 and various Qorvo types that
become available from time to time may be the best option. A long time
ago, I purchased a lot of Rogers RO5880 PCBs that could be used to
fabricate printed circuit boards for a 3cm amplifier.

I would be grateful for any information on 3cm band solid state
amplifier kits and designs based on commonly available surplus
transistors.

73, Berndt
VK5ABN