[Moon] HB9Q Logger update

Daniel A. Gautschi, HB9CRQ dan at hb9q.ch
Fri Nov 23 13:45:08 CET 2018

Hi All

As promised here the follow-up to the problems we run into on 28. October:

1)      About the reported crash at 02z on 28 October G4FUF sent us the
explanation what happened, many thanks Keith, very much appreciated!

Keith, G4FUF wrote: "My observation is that the logger is in GMT so we
should not see anything happen at 0200 BST (EU agreed time when UK local
time changes to GMT and rest of EU loses 1 hour that weekend).

But indeed it lost an hour. It never crashed on this occasion, if you
entered some script it appeared BUT inserted 1 hour down the screen. I
checked this at the time. People thought it had crashed but indeed all
messages sent between the REAL 02z and 03z timeslot are really in place if
you scrolled down.

It's now apparent that many people suffered this fate on that night because
the general formula bandied around to calculate start and finish of DST has
a bug causing a wraparound for 2018.So how has this feature affected your
program thats in GMT/UTC to start with : good question that needs looking
into."

This is exactly what happened. The bug is fixed, so it will not happen
again!

2)      At around 7z on 28. October the logger went really down for about
3h. The reason was, that within 24 hours there were 2.1 million accesses. So
the used memory did grow until it hit the memory maximum and caused the
shutdown. The software was adjusted so this can't happen anymore. In future
the logger will definitely not hit any computing or memory limits anymore.

NEW FEATURE: Two days ago we have added a new feature to the logger, the
"automated CQ function". You only need to enter the frequency you will CQ,
you tag 1st or 2nd and you may add any info you want (e.g. rx on my echo) to
your CQ. By clicking the "megaphone" symbol your CQ will be posted in the
"standard and highlighted format". And on the "Who is online list" your call
is marked with the "megaphone" symbol. The first 5 minutes in red, then 5
minutes in orange and another 5 minutes in yellow. So all users see you
announced a CQ within the last 15 minutes.

700 Users: And last but not least we are very happy to have, as of today,
exactly 700 registered users!

Good luck all during the ARRL EME Contest coming weekend!

Vy 73, Dan HB9Q