[Moon] Question about equipment I obtained - KU Band xmtr & rcvr?

Bob Kocisko k6pf at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 14 19:43:02 CEST 2018

I just obtained the following equipment fm a relative who took it off the
roof of a home they recently purchased.  Not sure what I hv or if it has any
value but some preliminary Googling suggests it’s the antenna & xmtr / rcvr
for a KU Band Hughes Net satellite system (formerly DirecWay) used for
satellite internet access.  Specifically:

1.  The antenna is an oval shaped offset feed dish measuring 39 inches
across & 23 inches high.  Says Hughes DirecWay on it.

2.  Googling suggests it includes both a xmtr & rcvr w/ 1 watt output.

3.  The W/G between the DirecWay LNB (HNS P/N 1030923-0006 Rev C, 10.95 –
12.75 GHz) measures 1.9 x 0.9cm across the opening so guess it’s WR75?

4.  The P/N for what I initially thought was a down-converter (but it has
heat sink fins on it) is 1034593-0001 Rev A).  I’m speculating that this is
a xmtr / up-converter + down-converter / rcvr?

5.  The LNB transitions into a 1.65 x 1.65cm square W/G opening at the oval
shaped feed horn.

4 questions:

1.  Is anyone aware of exactly what this is?  The above listed items are the
only hardware that I have.

2.  Has anyone had any experience converting one of these for ham use say on
10.368 GHz?  Maybe used for the antenna & rcvr for either EME or the
upcoming AMSAT satellites that will be using 5 GHz up & 10 GHz down (rcvr
portion)?

3.  Any idea of what this equipment might be worth, if anything, or should
it go into the trash?

4.  Does anyone have any interest in it?

Tnx & vy 73,
Bob, K6PF
DM34SS