[Moon] ON0EME beacon

Eddy Jespers ejespers at telenet.be
Sat Aug 24 20:10:05 CEST 2019

Hello Charlie,

I wonder if we need to chose the correct solder, to solder the devices to the PCB. I have been using Kester SN63 PB37  solder first to solder the device and the output capacitors. Melting temperature for this solder is 183° C
Last time I made some changements to the PA I used Cynel SN99,3CUO,7 solder, so lead free and a higher melt temperature ( 227°C )  These solder joints do not look as nice as the Kester joints.

For the new repair I used solder paste Chipquik TS391AX ( SN63/PB37 ) to connect the damaged drain pad of the device to a new copper conductor, and soldered the whole with Kester SN63 PB37.

In fact, this new solder SN99,3CU0,7 failed at one of the drains of the MRF13750H .

Are you aware of any recommendations of solder type being used for these devices ?  I now soldered the device again with Kester SN63 PB37 and solder paste SN63/PB37 but I am wondering what to use for the output circuit.

Vy 73’s Eddy ON7UN