[Moon] "The Eagle has landed"

Peter Sundberg sm2cew at telia.com
Sat Mar 2 18:32:59 CET 2019

On July 20/21 this summer we celebrate the 50 year anniversary since
two brave men from the Apollo 11 crew landed on the moon.

I suppose all of us who were around at that time remember the
excitement from hearing live audio conversations from the moon, but
more importantly watching live video when Neil Armstrong and later
his companion Buzz Aldrin stepped down from the moon lander to stand
on the surface of the moon for the first time in the history of
mankind. What a spectacular moment, with comments by legendary CBS
newsman Walter Cronkite, KB2GSD.

In 2009 we celebrated this during the "Echoes of Apollo" event where
stations from all over the world  joined in to make QSOs via EME.

The Stanford dish in California was put on the air by Mike K6MYC and
friends, you can listen to a short recording at
http://sm2cew.com/k6myc_090626.WAV

We now have plenty of both private and commercial big dishes and
arrays around the world that could be activated to attract the
interest of both new and old moonbouncers for a fun get together via
the moon. Preferably via CW/SSB on 70cm and 23cm.

On July 20/21 (Sat/Sun) this year the moon is not in a brilliant
position for moonbouncing, low declination and apogee, but I am sure
we could still make some noise to celebrate the event like we did in
2009. However, one week later the moon is in a very good position and
it is visible at far more sociable hours.

What say fellow moonbouncers?

73
Peter SM2CEW

PS. Trivia - Buzz Aldrin is said to have distant relatives in my home
town Lulea, Sweden. As a matter of fact, his relatives were living
just next doors to where my good friend SM2BLY grew up :-)