[Moon] [Moon-Net] SDR IQ stability

Peter Blair pkb100 at btinternet.com
Thu Apr 9 23:47:34 CEST 2020

Thanks Bob, thats a useful input. I was really just looking to eliminate the SDR/ SV combo, which I think from your comments I can do. I’m aware of the other sources of drift. In the past I have insulated the LNA at the feed to reduce that variation. My receive system (on all bands) is all HB right down to the final 14MHz IF, all run from properly stabilised supplies and the most variation comes fom the LNA which is out in the open.
Its a bit off topic but I wonder if youve done any zenith drift thrus over  a long period, say 12-15  hours? Ive done that on both 23 and 432 with interesting results which I will send you. After I did this, Doug, VK3UM put a feature into the “sky noise display” tab in the VK3UM planner which will plot the sky temperature against RA  for any given declination, click on the “chart noise” button at the lower right corner and select a declination and plot. My dish won’t look exactly at zenith in the stowed position, its about 10 degees off. So, interestingly, you can export the plot as a csv file and compare it to the csv file generated by the Spectravue. (I think youhave to time reverse it, I cant remember now) When I took out the gain change slope I got extremely good agreement on 432. On 1296 you have to scale the temperature values of course.
For me Taurus is the most useful source on 23,13 and 9cm , although its much weaker than Cygnus, I can see it over a much wider area of sky due to the construction of my dish mount.
73 Peter G3LTF