[Moon] [Moon-Net] SSB Electronics LT-2s broke!

DW Harms (Dick) qtc at kpnmail.nl
Thu Jul 16 10:49:34 CEST 2020

Alas Peter/John, the PA is not fused like in most of DB6NT’s products.

It is therefore very likely that the final transistor (and maybe also the driver…) have gone to heaven.

What John says could be very true, that the coax cable provides a very low impedance on its outer end. Deadly…

However the good news is, that the final transistors are very regular and not difficult to replace. Driver is a BD135, final is a BD675.

A down sight of the LT2S is the postmixer stage with BF982. I have seen two cases (one was of Gary, KB8RQ…) in which this stage oscillates and thus producing a lot of bad signals. Check that out! A simple cure is a 100 Ohm resistor across the draincoil, but it does not always help. In the cases I cured, I replaced the BF982 by a MMIC (MAV11 or alike). Works way better.

Good luck fixing Peter!

73, Dick PA2DW