[Moon] [Moon-Net] EME on 2.4GHz?

Peter Blair g3ltf at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 12 00:32:58 CEST 2020

13cm is in fact the EME sweet spot. The power is relatively easy these days, LNAs are extremely good, the sky noise is a minimum, libration is only a little worse than 23cm and if you are building your own dish the tolerances are very manageble. With the same dish size and power, echoes are 5dB stronger than on 23cm. Whats not to like as they say? If you want the thrill of making EME ssb QSOs then 13cm is the band.
On the question of countries.... In the last DUBUS/REF CW/ssb contest I worked 32 stations on full random in 14 countries ( see post of 25th May) and there were at least 40 stations active with 3 or 4 more countries that I didnt work. Thats a pretty good distribution of activity. My overall countries score is 48 with 149 initials but thats not the highest by any means.
Yes we have the challenges of multiple allocations and cross band working but isnt this hobby supposed to be about experimentaion and innovation and an SDR makes it far simpler than it was.
73 Peter G3LTF