[Moon] LNA FOR 144MHZ WITH 30DB GAIN

Leif Asbrink leif at sm5bsz.com
Mon May 11 23:01:54 CEST 2020

Hello Gedas and Serge,

The IQ+ system may have a noise figure of 10 dB. It depends to some
extent on the soundcard used. That corresponds to a noise temperature
of 2900K. Assuming a 26 dB amplifier and 6 dB losses the gain from the
antenna input to the IQ+ input is 20 dB or 100 times in power as well
as temperature. That means that the IQ+ system would contribute
29K to the system noise temperature.

The total noise temp referenced to the LNA input would be:

LNA 0.5 dB NF       36K
IQ+ system          29K
Quiet sky          180K
Antenna loss         5K
Total              250K

With 4 dB more gain:
LNA 0.5 dB NF       36K
IQ+ system          12K
Quiet sky          180K
Antenna loss         5K
Total              233K

The improvement in S/N would be 250/233 = 1.07 times or 0.3 dB

Using a LNA with T=36K with 26 dB gain would give a RX system temp
of 36+29=65K or system NF=0.88 dB but with 4 dB more gain the
system temp would be 36+29/2.5=48K or NF=0.66 dB.

Quiet sky is well below room temp so the 0.2 dB NF improvement gives a
0.3 dB S/N improvement.

Near the passband edges as well as near the center soundcards are
usually a bit more noisy. At those frequencies the improvement would
be bigger.

I would suggest a mast mounted LNA with low NF and 23 dB gain
with one more amplifier in front of the splitter. The second
amplifier should have limited gain and a modest NF. Maybe
NF 2 dB and gain 10 dB. More gain and lower NF would not
hurt as long as no strong signals cause overload. A band pass
filter in front of the second LNA would eliminate saturation
caused by out-of-band signals.

As I understand it, Serge does not have overload problems
at his QTH so there is no reason for him to make the usual
compromise between sensitivity and dynamic range.

0.3 dB is not much, but if you look at the detect probability
of jt65 at the threshold level would bring the decode probability
up from 50% to about 63%. That would be a 25% improvement. The
probabnility for a signal to be at the threshold is of course very
low....

73

Leif