[Moon] DL0SHF 24GHz beacon results

g4bao john at g4bao.com
Sat Oct 10 17:39:44 CEST 2020

That's great stuff Charlie,
Inspired me to do more on my 24GHz EME system build.
I now have all the parts and yesterday was metal bashing to put the 1127
TWT on to a heatsink and into the feed tray. I've worked out a way to get
it all on my standard "tray" slung under the offset dish arm with the TWT
PSU behind the dish. I'm a little scared of the EHT but I think I can at
least "showerproof" it and remove it pretty quickly to change bands to
10GHz.
On target for a QSO next Spring at the latest.
That's assuming the TWT is OK but I'm assured by ian 'KQW that "it worked
when he last used it." :-)
The only thing I need to find now is a length of flexible waveguide to get
to the feed, so I'm searching EBay. I can get away with coax on receive as
I have an LNA and relay right at the feed.
Hopefully I can find some "new old stock" WR24. I found some WG16 for my
10GHz system, but at 24GHz, flexi is notorious for ageing especially at
24GHz.
Power measurement at the 25W level might be challenging, but I'm going to
look at the return loss of my 18GHz HP 30W (precision N type) attenuator
and see if I can bodge that somehow.
Wonder what others out there use as a load/attenuator?

73 from the Fen Edge

John

John