[Moon] Rotator Protocols

Paul Nickalls paulnick at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 10 22:31:21 CEST 2020

We wish to control rotators etc to steer dishes and require a
positioning resolution of greater than 0.1 degrees given the size of the
dishes and the high frequencies planned (up to 24GHz).

We have implemented the Yaesu GS-232 protocol on a rotator controller
for terrestrial Yagis but it has a resolution of 1 degree. I understand
that here are a few protocols that have a resolution of 0.1 degrees but
we are looking for a greater resolution to drive some controllers. What
do other people use?  It would be good to avoid reinventing the wheel.

We will wish to be able to track the moon and some satellites and maybe
even do some radio astronomy.

We hope to make a controller for ourselves and another local amateur.

73
Paul G8AQA and Heather M0HMO