[Moon] Jan Ottens PA0SSB Silent Key

M. Watanabe jh1krc at syd.odn.ne.jp
Tue Jan 5 18:06:16 CET 2021

What a sad news, Dick!
PA0SSB is not in my QSO list, but I have a very nice memory of Jan.

He presented at 2018 EME conference in Egmond aan Zee, on his radio
history, from Sputnik and how he built up his dish at his home (it was
a very interesting and funny story), and listened to the Apollo 11
communications directly from the moon orbiter on 2.1GHz.  An old IMU
feed horn was on the speaker's table. I envy Jan what a lucky young boy
he was.
I was watching TV news every evening on the opposite side of the globe.

In the sea-side BBQ restaurant, Jan played guitar, and sang loudly for
two or more hours continuously.  I saw what a vigorous, and powerful
OM, Jan was.  A great entertainer, too.

Looking into my EME  photo album, Jan looks as he is, an OT.  But he
did not make me feel so when watching him at the conference events.
TNX so much for the nice chance to know him.

My hearty condolence to his family, and EME friends, and R.I.P., Jan.

Mike JH1KRC

---- "Harms wrote:
> Dear friends,

It is my sad duty to bring you yet another bad tiding. Yesterday, in
presence of his family, my old friend and Elmer Jan PA0SSB passed away
peacefully.

Jan was seriously ill already for some time, but never talked too much about
it. We had our regular sundaymorning technical talks on 80 meters and Jan
was netleader. However, for about a month or so he just came in shortly to
say hello and the last two weeks he was not there at all. Our alarm bells
were right, Jan was not doing well.

I will pass on any of your condolence messages to his family.

With a heavy heart,

Dick PA2DW